Too many Christian preachers don’t know enough about (or make a practice of) expository preaching. Don Carson gives six reasons to not abandon or, if you have never done it, to start expository preaching:
- It is the method least likely to stray from Scripture
- It teaches people how to read their Bibles
- It gives confidence to the preacher and authorizes the sermon
- It meets the need for relevance without letting the clamor for relevance dictate the message
- It forces the preacher to handle the tough questions
- It enables the preacher to expound systematically the whole counsel of God
Some of these points are not immediately obvious from their brief titles but at 564 words it’s a quick read to get the deeper details.